ZocdocAnswersRedness on the head of penis, also tiny white bumps that aren't raised or painful to the touch. What could it be?

Question

Redness on the head of penis, also tiny white bumps that aren't raised or painful to the touch. What could it be?

I have severe anxiety and I'm worried its herpes. I do have a habit of thinking the worst

Answer

There are a number of common reasons that a man can develop a redness or white bumps on the penis. Red patches or bumps may be the result of a skin condition, such as balanitis, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, or condom-induced allergies, etc. to more serious sexual transmitted diseases. For this reason, it is a very good idea that you visit a doctor to rule out a STD when you notice something unusual on the penis. Major sexually transmitted diseases that can cause skin abnormality on the penis are chlamydia, herpes, and syphillis. The most common type of STD that presents as small, painless white bumps is HVP that causes genital warts. If these have been ruled out, you probably don't need to worry about your penile redness and bumps. It is quite normal for some men to have small white or red bumps on their penises if they are something that has been around for a few years, and you just took notice of them. The most common tiny bumps circling the neck or middle area of the penis that can either be white, pink, or sometimes red that are not painful or itchy are known as pearly penile papules. They may also be another harmless condition known as Fordyce's spots. These Fordyce's spots usually appear as numerous small white or yellow bumps under the skin. These bumps don't warrant any kind of treatment. Self diagnosis of spots is not a good idea and sometimes a proper diagnosis can only be made with clinical tests. Again, please consult your doctor.