ZocdocAnswersCan I get pregnant the day before my period starts?

Question

Can I get pregnant the day before my period starts?

My boyfriend and I "dry-humped" about five days ago. A day after this happened I got my period. It was normal and lasted for about four days. His boxers never came off but I was naked. I don't believe he ejaculated but his boxers did have a wet spot from pre-ejaculate. What are the chances I'm pregnant?

Answer

Given the story you told, it is pretty unlikely that you are pregnant. As you know, it is possible to get pregnant from pre-ejaculate, but it sounds like his semen probably could not have entered your vagina very easily. Also, the fact that you had a normal period is re-assuring. That being said, there is a very small chance that you could be pregnant, and it is always worthwhile for you to visit your doctor and check with an over the counter pregnancy test so that you can just rest assured. Also, given your question it sounds like maybe you don't want to be pregnant. If that is the case, I would really think about starting some kind of birth control. There are lots of different options for birth controls, depending on if you have any other medical issues, all of which you should discuss with your doctor. For example, you probably know that condoms are an option, and is the best option for protecting against sexually transmitted diseases. However, if you have been tested for sexually transmitted diseases and so has your partner, and you are sure he is only having sex with you, there are lots of other options. You can also use these options WITH condoms to protect against STDs. The other options include: birth control pills (otherwise known as oral contraceptives), intra-uterine devices (tiny little things that sit in your womb and are very effective for preventing pregnancy and can last for years at a time), birth control shot (Depo Provera), and implanon (a tiny little rod that sits in your arm and also works for several years). Think about these things and see your doctor to have a conversation!