Why am I having long heavy periods?

Before the birth of my son 3 years ago they were quite heavy but generally regular. Since then i missed one every now and again, but i've started missing more and more. Recently i didn't have one for 2 months and now i have it's lasted 5 weeks and still going. Very heavy with quite a lot of clots, some up to golf ball size. I'm getting concerned. Can you help please?
There is a lot of normal variation in menstrual periods. If I was seeing you in clinic, I would ask you some follow up questions so that we could get to the bottom of what it going on, which is why I recommend seeing your gynecologist or primary care doctor. One thing I would want to know is: are you sexually active, and could you be pregnant? Whether or not you are pregnant really changes what might be going on with vaginal bleeding. If you are pregnant, it is possible that you could be having normal bleeding in early pregnancy, or you could potentially be having a miscarriage. Another things few things I would want to know is: How old are you? Has this every happened before? Do you have any other medical problems? Has there been any big changes in your weight weight or exercise patterns? Do any bleeding disorders run in your family? If you are older than 40, it is possible that you may be starting to go through menopause. It is common for women approaching menopause to miss some period and then have other periods with heavy or prolonged bleeding. This can even go on for several years before actual menopause (stop of regular periods). Even if you are in this age range, I would suggest that you consult your primary care doctor or If you are younger than 40, there are other things that could be going on. As I mentioned above, the first step is to determine if you are pregnant. If you are not, then there are other things that could be going on. For example, a very common cause of prolonged bleeding with menstruation is something called fibroids, which are benign growths in your uterus that cause a lot of extra bleeding (the official medical name is (uterine leiomyoma). In addition, different types of contraception, like the birth control pill, or IUDs (intra uterine devices) can cause prolonged bleeding or spotting. Finally, you could also have a more systemic thing going on such as a bleeding disorder, liver problems, or other issues that cause you not to be able to clot appropriately. Whatever your age, I recommend that you see your primary care doctor or gynecologist about this. Please make an appointment!