ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to take this drugs called CB-1 that makes you gain weight?

Question

Is it safe to take this drugs called CB-1 that makes you gain weight?

Have you heard of this drugs that make you gain weight? It's called CB-1 weight gainer, can you tell me if its safe to take?

Answer

It is important that you discuss this question with your doctor. Generally speaking, I took a quick look at the website that is selling the CB-1 supplement and took a look at its list of ingredients. I notice that two of the main ingredients are zinc and vitamin D, which are present in about the same proportion as you would get if you took a vitamin supplement or two. Neither one of these ingredients causes weight gain or appetite stimulation. The remainder of the ingredients have long chemical names, but are all isobutylamides, which I suspect are all just subcomponents of the Echinacea extract. Therefore, it sounds to me that this supplement is most likely just Echinacea with some additional vitamin D and zinc. When taking any supplements like this, it is important to remember that the product claims do not have to be verified by the FDA. Therefore, there does not (and most likely is not) any scientific evidence to back up the claims that this product helps with weight gain. Also, it is important to remember that many supplements and herbal preparations may interact with other medications that you may be taking. Finally, low weight is often a medical problem, and it may need to be formally worked up by your doctor. For all of these reasons, I would recommend discussing this supplement with your primary care doctor before you start taking it.