ZocdocAnswersWhy does my eye hurt when I blink?

Question

Why does my eye hurt when I blink?

My right eye is hurting. It's the corner that's located nearest to the ear. I can't close my eye, the pain is getting worse. It's now getting watery.

Answer

That is a great question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or a specialist such as an ophthalmologist. There are several causes for the symptoms you describe and it is difficult to diagnose you in this manner as there is no information regarding the length of time this has been going on, your age, or other comorbidities that you have. For this reason, your doctor will be best able to evaluate your medical history and physical examination and decide upon whether further diagnostic testing is required and what should be done. They may also try and treat your symptoms with medications such as special eye drops depending on what they believe is the underlying cause. It could be that you are developing the early signs of an eye infection, or it could be that there is a foreign object that is causing this irritation or perhaps you have a corneal abrasion in that area. Have you had any trauma to that eye in the recent past as this may be the cause for these symptoms. There are also benign growths that occur within the eyelid that can cause some of the symptoms you are describing. Please speak to your doctor.