ZocdocAnswersBig white patch on back of throat. What could it be?

Question

Big white patch on back of throat. What could it be?

I have been on antibiotics for 4 days now (amoxicillin 875 mg) to treat what my dr thinks is strep throat. I also had a canker sore on my lip. The back of my throat has this big white patch about the size of a dime. I never had a runny nose or fever. The canker sore is now gone but this white patch is not. It isn't real swollen but just white with red around it. What could it be?? Should I have seen an improvement by now with the strong antibiotics

Answer

Sorry to hear about your infection, and am glad that at least the canker sore part seems to be improving. It is hard to know what exactly is causing your symptoms without knowing more of your story. That is why it is important to speak with your doctor. Additionally, there are lab tests that are very effective at identifying the bacteria that can cause strep throat infections, and I would expect that your doctor probably would have used some of these before prescribing antibiotics. He or she will likely, therefore, be able to tell you what the timeline should be for you to start to see some improvement. The one thing that you don't mention is whether or not you have a sore throat, which would definitely argue in favor of a streptococcal infection. There are some criteria that are commonly used to diagnose this sort of infection as well. With regards to the white patch, it is hard to say what is causing this, and whether or not it should improve with antibiotics. One thing is clear, though: if it doesn't improve after treating it with the antibiotics prescribed by your doctor, you will need to discuss this with him or her. Please speak with your doctor.