ZocdocAnswersWhy are my testicles still swollen?

Question

Why are my testicles still swollen?

My right testicle recieved trauma over 2 years ago. I went to a doctor and they said the swelling will go down in around 6 months, but it hasn't. does this affect my fertility in any way? What should i do?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, you will need to undergo a thorough physical exam, including a genital exam. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with a urologist. After a thorough, in-person evaluation, the doctor can make recommendations on the next appropriate steps. There are multiple structures in the scrotum that can become injured during trauma. One, of course, is the testicle itself. Trauma can lead to inflammation and swelling as the tissue is broken down and heals. The epididymis is a series of small tubes on the posterior testicle that help deliver sperm to the ejaculatory duct. The vas deferens is a similar structure. Either one of these could be damaged and lead to obstruction, which could cause swelling. The testicles have a complex series of blood vessels that both deliver oxygenated blood to the testicles and return the blood to the rest of the body. The complex of small veins is quite intricate and also helps to cool the testicle. Damage to any of these could cause persistent swelling. Given the duration of your swelling, you will need to see a urologist. You may require a testicular ultrasound to fully determine the cause of your symptoms.