ZocdocAnswersI have a spot on the back of my head and when I touch it, it sends a shooting pain down my neck. What could it be?

Question

I have a spot on the back of my head and when I touch it, it sends a shooting pain down my neck. What could it be?

It's been going on for a couple months now and now another spot has popped up on my leg and when I touch that it sends a shooting pain through my back. The spot feels sort of like a pimple.

Answer

I recommend that you speak with your doctor about these questions. What you seem to be describing sounds similar to the way that many people describe a trigger point, although there are other things that can also cause a shooting and radiating pain similar to what you describe. Trigger points are parts of the body where, for whatever reason, nerve pain can originate and spread to other parts of the body usually with an action as simple as touch. Another word for this is allodynia. They (trigger points) are one of the cardinal features of fibromyalgia, which is a condition that can be hard to diagnose and hard to treat as well, and may require intervention from a specialist. With any of these sorts of diagnosis, however, it is important to first prove that there is not another cause for what you are feeling. Like you mention, a pimple or other site of skin infection can also be a cause for radiating pain that can spread to other regions of the body as well, and so it should be carefully checked to make sure that you do not have any evidence of infection in the back of your head or your leg. Again, please speak with your doctor about these questions.