ZocdocAnswersI feel a lower right side abdominal pain, could it be my appendix?

Question

I feel a lower right side abdominal pain, could it be my appendix?

I have been having intermittent lower right side abdominal pain for a few days now. It seems to be getting a little worse each day, but not bad enough for Tylenol. I pushed down on it about 5 minutes ago, and it still hurts where I pushed. Could this be my appendix where it has been hurting for so long?

Answer

Pain in the lower right side of the abdomen can be due to several different conditions, which is why I recommend scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician. Right lower quadrant pain (RLQ) pain can be caused by an inflamed appendix also known as appendicitis. Appendicitis usually also causes fever, loss of appetite, nausea, and abdominal pain in that area. Part of the colon is in that area. Some patients with Crohn's disease report right lower quadrant pain. This condition is also associated with diarrhea and sometimes weight loss. Other possible causes depend on whether you are mail or female. If you are female, you also have an ovary there. Ovarian cysts can cause pain in that area that can last for days. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will ask you a series of questions about your pain that will help narrow down the possible causes. After that, you will get an abdominal exam which might help the physician tell whether or not it is something potentially serious. If it is potentially serious, then you might need to have a CT scan of the abdomen to look for the cause. Alternatively (if you are a female), you might need to have a pelvic ultrasound to look for an ovarian cause of the symptoms.