ZocdocAnswersIs there a name for feelings of inertia?

Question

Is there a name for feelings of inertia?

If I haven't gone out all day on a weekend or day off, I feel stuffy and out of focus in my head - hard to describe. Is there a name for this feeling?

Answer

The feeling you are describing is sometimes called "anhedonia" in the field of mental health, which means a loss of interest or pleasure in things that used to feel enjoyable. I recommend discussing your symptoms with your primary care doctor. In general, it is normal to have ups and downs; some people are more introverted, which means they get energy from being alone, and others are more extroverted, meaning they get energy from being around people. However, there are other times when these feelings last for longer periods of time that can be concerning. Are these feelings associated with any other symptoms, for example loss of appetite, difficulty sleeping, feelings of guilt, difficulty concentrating, hearing or seeing things that others don't, or feelings of helplessness, thoughts of hurting yourself or others? In addition, sometimes these feelings of inertia or anhedonia are worsened by using substances such as marijuana, drinking, or other drugs such as heroine or cocaine. If they were, these symptoms are more concerning for other disorders that our out of the ordinary such as depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues. Of course, if you ever have thoughts of hurting yourself or other you should tell someone immediately and call a doctor or proceed to the nearest emergency room. In addition, you should bring up these feeling with your primary care doctor so they can do a full evaluation in person and best be able to help you at this time.