Why am I having a second period after two days of unprotected sex?

I had unprotected sex two days after my cycle for two days and now I'm on my period and its moderate!
Vaginal bleeding after sexual intercourse when you're not menstruating is a common problem but is not normal. Although not normal, in most cases it is the result of harmless cervical changes which don't require treatment. However, I recommend a visit with a doctor to be evaluated and rule out a few harmful conditions such as cervical cancer. Most cervical cancer is caused by a virus called human papillomavirus, or HPV, from having sexual contact with someone who has it. You can have HPV for years and not know it until it leads to cervical cancer. This is why it is important for you to have routine Pap tests to check for any changes in cervical cells and treat them before they turn into cancer. Cervical cancer can be successfully treated when it is found at a very early stage through a Pap test. If you've had normal Pap smear results, your doctor may look into other conditions. It may be simply normal uterine bleeding, if you're just beginning your period or if it has just ended. On the other hand, it may be caused by friction during sexual intercourse due to vaginal dryness, vaginitis, pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, cervicitis or cervical dysplasia, to name a few. Your best bet is to consult a OBGYN to determine if your bleeding is something harmful or totally harmless. Good luck.

Nearby OB-GYNs