ZocdocAnswersMy left side is a little sore by my testicles, is this a hernia?

Question

My left side is a little sore by my testicles, is this a hernia?

this happend after i done some lifting today .. or could i have just strained a muscle

Answer

Thank you very much for your question. I suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor or your local health center. It is not uncommon for individuals to experience pain or soreness after strenuous physical activity. A hernia is a defect in the transversalis fascia layer of the abdominal wall through which intra-abdominal organs can protrude. An inguinal hernia, or groin hernia, is a very common type of hernia. Inguinal hernias can be congenital (that is, you were born with one) or acquired (often through increased intra-abdominal pressure that can occur with activity such as weight lifting). One of most common presentations of an inguinal hernia is a bulge in the groin region that occurs with lifting, coughing, or straining. When intra-abdominal contents such as bowel or fat get trapped in the hernia, it is referred to as having become incarcerated. If the blood supply is compromised to the incarcerated contents, the hernia contents are then referred to as strangulated. This can be a life threatening emergency that requires surgery. It is not possible to receive a diagnosis without being evaluated by a doctor or other qualified health professional. Again, I suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor or your local health center to further evaluation to receive a diagnosis and potential management strategies.