ZocdocAnswersI cut myself and now there's a bump right below it. Should I get it looked at?

Question

I cut myself and now there's a bump right below it. Should I get it looked at?

A few months ago I cut my heal really bad when my screen door shut on it. It was on the back of my leg where my Achilles tendon is. I was told that I wouldn't need stitches so I didn't bother going to the hospital. The cut has healed but now there is a bump under the skin right below the scar. It had stopped bothering me but I've recently been walking a lot and it's become slightly tender and it sometimes hurts a bit when I walk after not moving for a long while. What is it and is it anything I need to get looked at? or will it go away on it's own?

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem. From my vantage point, it is difficult to understand exactly what you may be talking about. In this situation, I can suggest several potential ideas, but ultimately I will need to recommend that you discuss this problem with your doctor. Some possibilities of what could be happening include that there could be a foreign body that was left behind after the cut. Whether there was some dirt or something similar on the door that was embedded into your leg or if somehow else something else was left in there, this could be what the bump is. Another possibility is just the normal healing process itself, as the inflammation that can happen afterwards causes some extra volume for a short time after the injury in some cases. This sort of thing will generally calm down with time. There are other options as well, such as deeper injuries and also changes to lymphatic and blood flow due to the injury. As it is hard to know without more information, please speak to your doctor.