How to avoid excessive thinking before sleeping?

My boyfriend seems to have problem sleeping at night. He is in real depth of thinking at night, which spoils his sleeping mood. Even if he's extremely tired, he can't seem to sleep as all his thoughts overloads his head at night. This seems to change the person he is. How to avoid this problem?
It is a common problem to have trouble sleeping because of many thoughts going through your head at night, so your boyfriend is not alone. I recommend that your boyfriend speak to his primary care doctor. Problems sleeping, whether it is because of too much thinking or for other reasons, is often called insomnia. There are a few things that I always tell my patients to do when they are having trouble sleeping, what we call sleep hygiene. There are several things that are helpful to do: one is to go to sleep at the same time every day and wake up close to the same time every day (even on the weekends, not sleeping in too late as that can mess with the sleep / wake cycle). The other thing is to NOT drink anything with caffeine (coffee, soda, some tea) after three or four in the afternoon. This can sometimes really affect people's sleep without knowing it. The other thing that can really help people is to turn off all TV, computers, smart phones for about a half hour to an hour before bed, in order to help quiet the mind. also, if he is having a lot of anxiety and problematic thoughts at night that are stopping him from sleep, he may benefit from some meditation or breathing and relaxation exercises to do at night. It also helpful, if he is able, to do exercise up to 5 times per week in order to be more physically tired. Again, your boyfriend should see his primary care doctor to see if maybe he has some anxiety problems that may benefit from medication and therapy, which could help him sleep. I would encourage you to encourage him to see his doctor about this issue.

• Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    332 E. 30th Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Weymin Hago
    Dr. Weymin Hago MD
    450 Park Avenue S
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Sidney Stein
    Dr. Sidney Stein MD
    38 East 32nd Street
    New York, NY 10016