ZocdocAnswersWhat could my headaches mean?

Question

What could my headaches mean?

Hello i am 18 years old and before 2 days i have been experiecing headache so i took a pill and it was all good but after 2 days headache happend agian and i was felling sick headache isnt that strong and pain is on the right side of my head im afriad it isnt a brain cancer nobody in my family didnt get any type of cancer and i didnt been hardly sick what it could be ?

Answer

There are many different types of headaches. From your description, it is difficult to tell exactly what type of headache you have. However, statistically it is likely to be a migraine headache. Migraine headaches are usually described as one-sided just as yours are. In addition, people complain of throbbing, light sensitivity, sound sensitivity, and sometimes nausea. The fact that you state that you are feeling sick somewhat supports the idea that this could be a migraine. Another common type of headache is a tension headache. This type of headache is usually bilateral or both sides of your head. It is usually accompanied by neck pain. Anytime anyone develops a new headache, it deserves a workup from a physician. Thus, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. You can describe your headache to your doctor in more detail. He or she will perform a detailed neurological exam to make sure that nothing scary like a brain tumor is suspected. In some cases, a doctor will order an MRI of the brain is to make sure. Most likely, your primary care doctor will feel comfortable treating your headaches with medications. However, if your situation is seen as complex at all, then you will need referral to a neurologist for further assessment.