ZocdocAnswersWhat is a strange lump about quarter-sized in the right side of my neck?

Question

What is a strange lump about quarter-sized in the right side of my neck?

It is painless and I noticed it about three weeks ago

Answer

Sorry to hear about this mass. It is difficult to say exactly what this may be without some additional information. That is why you must speak with your surgeon. There are so many possibilities, such as simple things involving just the skin and the superficial tissues, or things that are much deeper. Infections can lead to small lumps in the neck, and are among the most common causes of lymph nodes that can swell and become noticeable in a short period of time. If it is indeed a lymph node, it may be tender and would be expected to shrink in size over a period of a few weeks. Other possibilities, of course, could be more serious and require further medical attention. The fact that yours has already been there for a few weeks suggests that you need to speak with a surgeon, specifically an ear nose and throat surgeon (AKA ENT or otolaryngology head and neck surgeon) to make sure that you are not missing something more serious. He or she will be able to help you with further testing if it is needed, or at least be able to reassure you if it is a normal variant of something simple. Please speak with an otolaryngologist soon.