Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I hurt my leg just under my knee and it still hurts, should I see a doctor?"

ZocdocAnswersI hurt my leg just under my knee and it still hurts, should I see a doctor?


A little over a month ago, I was playing rugby and hurt my leg just under my knee. It still hurts a bit and is still a rather large bump.


I am sorry to hear that you hurt your leg. You definitely need to schedule a visit with your doctor to have it checked out. There are a number of reasons of your leg pain. One of which that comes to mind is that you could have a serious condition called deep vein thrombosis, or DVT. DVT is a blood clot that forms in a vein deep inside a part of your body. It mainly affects the large veins in your lower leg and thigh. DVT is serious because a blood clot that has formed in your vein can break loose and lodge in your lungs, blocking blood flow to cause you pulmonary embolism. A pulmonary embolism is a life-threatening complication of DVT that it's important to be on the lookout for its signs and symptoms and seek immediate medical attention. Please seek help from your primary care physician soon for a diagnosis. To diagnose DVT your doctor needs to physically examine any areas of swelling and tenderness. If it is determined that you are likely to have a blood clot, he or she may order further testing that includes an ultrasound, blood test, CT or MRI scans, etc. Best of luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.