Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Sex is giving me back pains. What can I do?"

ZocdocAnswersSex is giving me back pains. What can I do?


My husband has a very large penis. I am very small. We've been together for about 2 1/2 years. It used to hurt my privates. We've since managed that with lubes or foreplay and he goes in slow. For a long while, I had extreme cramps. That's been managed to. Now that we figured it all out, our experience in the bedroom has been a lot better. Recently however I have another problem, sex is causing me to experience extreme back pain. It's been very debilitating. We are not extremely adventurous with sex. I could describe it as rather typical, we don't try any moves that are uncomfortable. I will say too, I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I have a slightly tilted cervix. I have tested for stds, I'm don't have any. Any help would be appreciated. This back pain associated with sex has never been an issue before two months ago.


Thanks for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your problem. Back pain in any setting is uncomfortable, but it may be that it is especially annoying when it intervenes at times when it is less wanted. Now, your question provides some clues. First, the fact that your problem has only started in the last few months despite having been together for some time suggests that there may be something new that needs to be addressed with your doctor. Sexually transmitted diseases are one possibility, and it is good that you have been tested already. Your doctor will likely also ask about if there are any specific actions that replicate the pain, or is the pain only after the orgasm itself. This is because different pain receptors are present and could potentially become involved during coitus. If you experience the pain only after the orgasm, then it could be a neurologic problem involving how the act of climax affects the nervous system. Given that there are many different options, and that your symptoms are new, it is important to discuss this with your doctor. Your OB/GYN or your primary care doctor would both be able to help. Please speak with your doctor.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.