ZocdocAnswersWhy am I having pain behind my belly button, blood in my urine & a terrible headache?

Question

Why am I having pain behind my belly button, blood in my urine & a terrible headache?

I am a 16 year old girl, & for the last 48 hours, I have been experiencing extreme pain behind my belly button, bloody urine & I have the worse head ache I have ever experience. Why?

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. In order to provide an accurate answer, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, you may need other tests such as blood test, urine analysis, and imaging studies. Only after collecting this information will it be possible to provide a diagnosis. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to either make an urgent visit with a primary care doctor or be seen in the emergency room. There are many potential causes for your symptoms. Severe abdominal pain could represent an ectopic pregnancy, which can be a life threatening emergency. It is possible the same process is causing both your abdominal pain and bloody urine. One possible cause is nephrolithiasis, or kidney stones. These often require IV analgesics and aggressive intravenous hydration to manage. Other potential causes of your pain include a bowel obstruction, appendicitis, peptic ulcer disease, or an infection in the small bowel or large intestine. Your headache may be secondary to the pain or may be a separate process. It is impossible to determine the cause without more information, and I strongly encourage you either see a primary care doctor or visit your local emergency room.