ZocdocAnswersHow do I know if I can exercise without harming my heart?

Question

How do I know if I can exercise without harming my heart?

I had echo done and heart not relaxing like it should and top chamber is beating before bottom ir vice versa. doctor put me on beta blocker. but never realy said anything about being able to exercise. i. 235 lb female and want to loose weight but scared to exercise

Answer

Sorry to hear about your heart troubles, and am glad to hear that you both want to lose weight and are interested in exercise. The best thing to do is to discuss your question with your doctor. All told, those things should help you to be able to maximize your overall well being and help you to live best with whatever heart problems may have been caused by the injury that you describe in your echo. As you suggest in your question, there are some things that are needed before you can safely begin to exercise. This is because some people are at an increased risk of suffering from further heart problems during exercise, which may seem counter intuitive given the fact that exercise is usually such a healthy and highly recommended activity. Your doctor, specifically your cardiologist, will need to clear you to resume activity before you can safely begin physical activity with the heart condition that you seem to be describing. Fortunately, this may not require a formal visit given that you seem to have been working with him or her recently. A quick call to his or her office may suffice, and would help you to begin with more peace of mind. Please speak with your doctor before you begin an exercise program.