ZocdocAnswersCan sore throat be the cause of an elevated white blood cell count?

Question

Can sore throat be the cause of an elevated white blood cell count?

my daughter had a full blood count test and it was discovered she had high white blood cell count. the only ailment she has is sore throat and high fever

Answer

Sorry to hear about your daughter's sore throat. These are quite common, and almost always resolve on their own with no long term side effects. Obviously, however, there are some instances where complications arise, and I am glad to hear that you have had been working with a doctor (implied by the fact that some blood work has been done). To answer the question, yes, a sore throat can be the cause of an elevated white blood cell count, but it is important to discuss this with your doctor. White blood cells are the body's way of fighting many types of infections, and they are quite effective. An elevated number of them is one of the best evidences that your doctor may have that there is an infection ongoing. In the setting of a high fever as well, it is certainly likely that there is some sort of infection, and a sore throat would indicate that this may be the potential site of the infection. There are many other possibilities, of course, and so continuing to work with your doctor will be important until she starts to feel better. In the mean time, please encourage good rest, nutrition, and hand hygiene. Please speak with your doctor for more specific information.