How do I know if I have a strained or torn thigh muscle?

I have pain in my thigh in front of leg for 6 weeks, numbness and tender in spots. I quit playing softball 3 weeks ago and do not recall what caused the injury.
With any orthopedic issue, it is essential that you undergo a full history and physical exam in order to determine the specific cause. I strongly encourage you see your primary care doctor for an initial evaluation. Depending on these results, you may need to be referred to an orthopedic surgeon. There are many structures in your thigh that can cause pain and numbness. These include the skin, muscles, nerves, blood vessels, ligaments, tendons, and bone. A physical exam can help your doctor determine the specific cause. Numbness may be due to inflammation of a muscle or tendon that causes abnormal sensation by the nerves in the area. A nerve injury in the area can also cause numbness. Additionally, a nerve injury in your lower back, which is the area in which such nerves originate, can also cause numbness. In some cases, a blood clot, or deep vein thrombosis, can lead to swelling and pain in one of your legs. Risk factors for this include prolonged sitting, surgery, cancer, autoimmune disorder, or genetic predisposition to forming blood clots. If your doctor is concerned about this based on your initial evaluation, you may need to undergo an ultrasound of your leg. However, it is not possible to know the cause of your symptoms without an in-person evaluation.

• Dr. Shamim Shakibai
    Dr. Shamim Shakibai MD
    6801 Park Terrace Dr
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Ramin Samadi
    Dr. Ramin Samadi MD
    5900 Overton Ridge Blvd
    Fort Worth, TX 76132
  • Dr. Julie Norley
    Dr. Julie Norley DO
    7534 E 2nd Street
    Scottsdale, AZ 85251