ZocdocAnswersShould I be going to work if I have food poisoning?

Question

Should I be going to work if I have food poisoning?

Recently I got food poisoning. Should I be taking a few days off work to recover? If I don't eat I don't have to go to the bathroom.

Answer

So sorry to hear about your problem. It is somewhat common, and so most of us can relate to the symptoms that you are experiencing. Please speak with your doctor to make sure that you maintain adequate hydration and are recovering fully. Also, there are many other things that can seem to be food poisoning but can actually be something else and therefore need to be treated. If you aren't improving quickly, it's important to speak with your doctor to make sure that there is nothing more that is causing your symptoms than food poisoning. Now, the question about when to return to work is something that requires more information. First, of course, is the need to know what you do for work. If you are quite active in your job, it will be more likely that you don't have the energy that you need to return to full activity. If, however, you have a relatively sedentary job then it may be more possible for you to still be able to perform the activities that you need to do. Obviously, good hygiene will be vital to make sure you don't infect others. Please speak with your doctor about this question.