ZocdocAnswersExtreme shoulder pain in the back and around the cuff for 15 mins, what could it be?

Question

Extreme shoulder pain in the back and around the cuff for 15 mins, what could it be?

26 male. Was shaving

Answer

There are a few different things that could be going on here, and I would recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor for a full evaluation, especially if the pain is ongoing or severe. I have only general observations to help orient you, since your question doesn't provide many details. Sudden onset pain in this part of the back and shoulders would most likely be a muscle spasm, especially if you were hunched over or twisting your back and neck while shaving. If this is a spasm, the muscle in the area of pain might feel unusually firm or tender when you push on it. Your doctor can confirm the diagnosis for you and, if this is what is going on, prescribe pain medications to help relieve the symptoms. In addition to muscle spasm, another possibility would be a pinched nerve in the neck. This would be more likely to have additional symptoms other than just pain, such as numbness or tingling that might run down the shoulder or into the arm. Most pinched nerves do not require aggressive treatment, but your doctor would want to look for signs of serious weakness or other nerve impairment to be on the safe side. Please speak with your primary care doctor.