Why did I not get pregnant if we didn't use protection?

I took my IUD on June 29, I had my regular period on July Saturday 27 through Thursday August 1 which it was my last day, my husband and I tried to get pregnant through the month of august, but my period came august 25 and I still have my period.
Getting pregnant is not always as easy as you would think and I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. . Many couples that have absolutely nothing wrong with them will often take 6 months to a year to get pregnant even when the woman's periods are coming at regular intervals. This is why most reproductive specialists will not even start a workup for infertility until the couple has tried to achieve pregnancy for at least 1 year. This is because most of the time nothing is wrong at all. The first question I would ask if you are having trouble getting pregnant is is if your periods are regular. If they are regular (every 30 days or so), then you probably are ovulating normally. Getting pregnant requires that you have unprotected intercourse just prior to ovulation. Today you can buy ovulation detectors at the grocery store. These are instruments that detect LH, the hormone responsible for inducing ovulation. Women that use these can time intercourse more easily. The other option is to just have intercourse every other day starting a few days after you stop your period and continuing for about 2 weeks. This insures that you will have intercourse around the right time. For this problem, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN.