Does the patient's metal health affect his body in an extreme way?

I read in a book about schizophrenia patient who battled cancer and depression in one person but was NEC and happy in his other person. The book explained that his thoughts were able to overpower what was going on in his body. Is this physically possible?
I'm not sure I totally understand the question completely, so it is important that you speak to your doctor about this. I can only offer some general thoughts about schizophrenia. It is well known that individuals with schizophrenia have higher rates of other medical problems, which can include obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and the like. In part, these higher rates of medical problems can be explained by the side effects of some of the medications that are used to control the symptoms of schizophrenia. It is also the case that some individuals with schizophrenia may have less optimal medical care than other members of the population and, as such, they may have medical problems that are not detected and treated as early as they should be. We also know, generally speaking, that psychiatric symptoms do have some influence on physical processes in the body, and that this is not limited to schizophrenia. For example, depression is linked to a higher risk of heart attacks. The doctors who would be best qualified to discuss this issue in more detail include a primary care doctor and a psychiatrist. Therefore, if you or someone you know is affected by schizophrenia or by another psychiatric illness, I highly recommend that you reach out to your doctor for help!

Other Psychiatrists