ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have a pain in my lower stomach?

Question

Why do I have a pain in my lower stomach?

The pain is under my belly button, that whole area. It's been hurting for 5 days now. It normally hurts when I'm standing and and moving around. Sometimes it hurts when I sit. When it's not a sharp pain, it's a light bearable pain that I don't even notice. I am a 16 year old female and sexually active. I had unprotected sex during my period but my boyfriend did not ejaculate in me. I am supposed to start me next period in 9 days. We had unprotected sex 2 days before my period ended, which was 13 days ago.

Answer

The description that you provided of your abdominal pain could be any number of things, but I can tell you that you need to be evaluated by a physician right away. The most concerning possibilities include condition such as appendicitis or an ectopic pregnancy. The first step will be for you to undergo a pregnancy test to see if you are pregnant. If you are, then a serum beta hCG and a pelvic ultrasound will be necessary to make sure that the pregnancy is intrauterine, if that is the case. If you are not pregnant, then the possibility of appendicitis should be ruled out immediately. This might include a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis and blood work to look at your blood counts. If your physician does not believe that this is appendicitis, and your pregnancy test is negative, then other possibilities such as a ovarian cysts, a urinary tract infection, inflammation of your colon, or even simple irritable bowel syndrome should be looked into. For starters, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can perform a detailed physical exam and your abdomen and perform the pregnancy test before going to the next step. Good luck.