ZocdocAnswers Findings were consistent with duodenal ulcer, but I was not diagnosed. Does this condition exist?

Question

Findings were consistent with duodenal ulcer, but I was not diagnosed. Does this condition exist?

dose condition exiest or not

Answer

It is difficult to determine from your question exactly what the problem is and high the ulcer was diagnosed. I recommend you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist, who should be able to review your medical history, perform a physical exam, and make recommendations on the appropriate therapy. A duodenal ulcer is an erosion of the mucosal lining of the portion of your small intestine just after the stomach. Ulcers can cause abdominal pain. They can also cause intestinal bleeding, which in some cases can be life threatening. If the ulcer progresses, it can lead to a hole in your intestine, which is a life threatening situation requiring emergency surgery. The vast majority of duodenal ulcers are caused by an infection from an organism called H. pylori. You can undergo a special test to determine if you have this infection. If you do, you typically need to take several medications for a defined course to eradicate the infection. Patients also often require a proton pump inhibitor, such as omeprazole, to allow the intestinal lining to heal. Depending on the appearance of the ulcer during endoscopy, you may require additional therapies through the endoscope itself. I strongly encourage you to see a gastroenterologist to determine the best course of treatment for you.