Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"The right side of my knee hurts. What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersThe right side of my knee hurts. What should I do?


And i also have a muscle imbalance on the same knee.. Outer thigh being too strong for inner thigh..the pain is not the knee cap but further out to the side, i noticed this pain the day after doing sprints.. Thanks.


I am sorry to hear about your knee pain, and it sounds like it is significantly affecting your quality of life. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, it will be necessary to fully review your medical history and perform a detailed physical exam. You may also need additional tests, such as an x-ray or MRI, to evaluate your knee. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. After collecting this additional information, the surgeon can make recommendations on the next most appropriate step. There are multiple structures in the knee that can cause pain. You may have suffered a tear of the meniscus, or piece of cartilage that cushions the joint. There are multiple bursa, or fluid-filled sacs, in the knee that provide cushioning, and inflammation of these can cause pain. Damage to one of the knee ligaments, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL can cause pain and instability. You may also be suffering from iliotibial band syndrome or patellofemoral syndrome, both of which can cause pain with activity. Finally, you may have suffered an injury to one of the muscles controlling the joint. I encourage you to raise these concerns with an orthopedic surgeon.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.