I can't sleep because I feel anxiety, is this normal or should I be seen? And by who?

when I try to sleep at night I can not because I get anxiety I start to get scared that I will be awaken by something i cannot protect myself from I keep my door open with cartoons on because i room mate with my sister and if anything were to happen she can hear me and it doesn't work the only way I can sleep is if I have someone here. So When I can't sleep my leg is constantly jumping I'm always looking over my shoulder if I lay on my side I can not stay on my side I get the urge to turn my body because I feel like someone is going to be there. right now I won't sleep until the sun comes up. It's not that I'm afraid of the dark but I've watched shows where everything happens in the dark and that's when you have less visibility. I feel like I am suffering from anxiety but not sure.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds like they are having a severe impact on your quality of life. In order to determine the cause of your symptoms, it will be necessary to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician. After carefully reviewing your medical history and performing a physical exam, they can discuss pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic means of controlling your symptoms. Anxiety is an emotion all people experience at one time or another. It likely is of evolutionary benefit because it heightens your senses and causes you to direct attention to certain tasks. It can be a pathologic response when it occurs at inappropriate times and interferes with your daily life. In patients with anxiety, it is important to rule out other medical conditions that can cause a sensation of anxiety. These include arrhythmias, hyperthyroidism, and pheochromocytoma, which is a tumor that secretes stimulatory hormones. In the absence of these conditions, patients often treat their anxiety with pure anxiolytics, such as benzodiazepines, or antidepressants with anxiolytic properties. Many patients often benefit from talk therapy as a way of learning to cope with anxiety. After you are evaluated by a primary care physician, he can make recommendations on the next best appropriate steps for you.

• Dr. Shirin Peters
    Dr. Shirin Peters MD
    222 E. 31st Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Bruce Chung
    Dr. Bruce Chung MD
    160 East 32nd Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Ashima Bakhru
    Dr. Ashima Bakhru MD
    145 E 32nd St.
    New York, NY 10016