Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Should my friend get tested for HIV?"

ZocdocAnswersShould my friend get tested for HIV?


My friend has been sexually active for two years with around 3 guys. Sometimes protected/unprotected. She's really nervous to get tested. If she takes a home test and it says she has hiv and she wants to take medication for it, does she still have to take a test at the doctors office in order to get diagnosed. She just wants it to be really private and confidential. Or does she have a better chance not taking the test and just make sure she takes vitamins for her immune system. She only asks this because once your diagnosed you have to tell your partner.


This is an excellent question. Your friend should definitely speak with her health care provider because there are several things that are concerning regarding her history. First, because she has had multiple partners, it is very important that she practice safe sex whenever having sexual intercourse. This is important not only because of the possibility of an unwanted pregnancy, but also to avoid any sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, or hepatitis C. Your friend should be counselled that she is putting herself and her sexual partners at risk when deciding not to use protection. Second, with regards to her HIV status, if your friend has concerns that she has contracted a sexually transmitted disease, it is important that she see her health care professional as he or she will be able to test her for any possible sexually transmitted diseases, such as the ones mentioned earlier. This is important because several of these STDs are treatable with medication, and if they are left untreated for long periods of time, can go on to become more serious. Taking vitamins will not protect her from any of these diseases and so it is very important that your friend see a health care professional.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.