ZocdocAnswersI can't focus in class or ever be still. What should I do?

Question

I can't focus in class or ever be still. What should I do?

I was diagnosed with depression in early 2012, but I now don't show any more symptoms. The psychiatrist told me it was because of my depression but now I am starting to believe otherwise.

Answer

The symptoms you are describing seem to be those of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD. I recommend that you visit a psychiatrist to be evaluated for ADHD or other possible causes of your symptoms. Generally speaking, those patients suffering from ADHD may be unable to sit still, plan ahead, finish tasks, or be fully aware of what's going on around them. They have difficulty staying focused and paying attention. To their family, classmates or coworkers, they seem to exist in a whirlwind of disorganized or frenzied activity. ADHD does not have clear physical signs that can be seen in an x-ray or a lab test. Your doctor may use certain rating scales to determine if you meet the diagnostic criteria for ADHD. ADHD can only be identified by looking for certain characteristic behaviors. That being said, emotional disorders and attention disorders so often go hand in hand. Anyone who has ADHD should be checked for accompanying anxiety and depression or vice versa. ADHD is a serious diagnosis that may require long-term treatment with medications that aim at reducing hyperactivity and improving a person's ability to focus. Visit your doctor for a thorough evaluation and a diagnosis. It's important that your doctor first looks for and treat any other causes for these behaviors. Good luck.