ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for your pulse to fluctuate between 134-80 while on treadmill?

Question

Is it normal for your pulse to fluctuate between 134-80 while on treadmill?

while on treadmill my pulse fluctuates between 134-80 while walking at a steady speed of 3.4 mph

Answer

Thank you for this interesting question. In order to provide an accurate answer, a doctor would need to know the full details of your medical history and would also need to perform a detailed physical exam. In addition, you may need other testing. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. Only after collecting this information will the doctor be able to make recommendations. In general, a normal resting heart rate is 60-100. Certain situations, such as sleep, can cause the heart rate to decrease. Others, such as pain, infection, fear, anxiety, and fever, cause the heart rate to increase. During exercise, our heart rate increases in order to provide additional oxygen and nutrients to our muscles and other organs. The variation you are noticing while on the treadmill may be due to your heart rate altering in order to meet the demands of your other organs. It may also be due to inaccuracies of the heart rate monitor. In some instances, an arrhythmia, such as atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter, can cause similar heart rate variations. It is not possible to know the specific cause without more information, and I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist.