Can you tell me what a pebble-like hard lump on the opening of the anus is?

It was not sore until I squeezed and felt it
Thank you for your question regarding the lump in your anus. It is difficult to say for sure what might be the cause of this mass without being able to visually inspect it. I encourage you to visit your primary care physician who can take a look and determine whether this is something to be concerned about. This mass could be caused by a number of different potential things. Hemorrhoids are normal veins in our rectums which can become a problem when they get swollen and inflamed. External hemorrhoids can be painful and are ones that can also sometimes be seen in the anus. These hemorrhoids can also bleed, ranging from blood on the toilet paper when wiping, to blood that coats the stool. If you are sexually active and participate in anal sex, anal warts are a possibility as well. These are caused by the human papilloma virus and can look like bumps the color of your skin or have a cauliflower-like appearance. There is no treatment, but there are interventions focused at removing the warts. It is also possible that you could have a localized area of infection in the anus, such as an abscess. Depending on the size, this may need to be opened and drained. Please see your doctor who can better assess what is going on after performing a physical exam.

• Dr. James Morgan
    Dr. James Morgan MD
    330 Northgate Drive
    Manteca, CA 95336
  • Dr. Martin Glynn
    Dr. Martin Glynn MD
    1525 South Church Street
    Murfreesboro, TN 37130
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043