Is it normal for my 2-week old scab to be wet and gooey underneath?

I feel and scraped my knee pretty badly almost two weeks ago. it was mostly a surface wound except for a part where a rock dug in and cut my skin a little deep. Well the rest of my knee had scabbed and by now the scabs had fallen off except for the part that was cut deeper. It's about the size of a 10 cent coin well today I was looking at it and decided to lift the scab thinking it was healed. Well when I lifted it was all wet and gooey inside. I'm not sure if this is normal after two weeks or should I be worried its infected?
Thank you for your question and I recommend speaking with your doctor about your concern. Different people will heal different wounds at different rates depending on a number of factors, and so it is hard to say if 2 weeks is normal for you. Diabetes and other chronic health problems such as things that affect the level of blood flow to the area can all play a role in how quickly the wound will heal. Smoking is thus one of the biggest factors that adds time to the healing process. Additionally, the amount of bacteria that are present will affect whether it heals quickly or slowly, with more bacteria obviously decreasing the amount of time until it heals all the way. There are other things and factors that can also affect the rate of healing, and so you should speak with your doctor if you feel that things are not healing right or that the surrounding tissues are being affected or infected. He or she may recommend some additional steps to make sure that you heal in a full and quick manner. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.

9815 E Harry St

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    303 W Sunset Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024