ZocdocAnswersI am 11 weeks pregnant, could I be having a miscarriage?

Question

I am 11 weeks pregnant, could I be having a miscarriage?

19 yr old female I've had light bleeding, brown discharge and slight tissue discharge. As well as lower back pain and abdominal pain, both ranging from 5-8 on a scale of 1-10. Could I be having a miscarriage or could it be something else?

Answer

This is something that you will need to discuss with your doctor. Back and abdominal pain are certainly some of the signs of a miscarriage, or at least can be in the right setting. While some very light spotting can be a normal part of pregnancy, it should be considered abnormal until you have clarified this with your doctor. The tissue discharge is perhaps the most concerning, as there is no obvious explanation for why this would be happening in a normal and healthy pregnancy. Your doctor will likely want to see you soon and complete a pelvic examination and perhaps an ultrasound to be able to determine if you and your baby are well. Early in pregnancy, it is important to be diligent about any new changes that can happen, as the window of time to intervene and help things be better is very short. Your past history of other pregnancies will also be able to provide some valuable information, as this can tell whether or not you are at an increased risk of problems. Please reach out to your doctor immediately, as most OBs will have an emergency line that you can call for more instructions.