ZocdocAnswersI have had leg pain for months, what should I do?

Question

I have had leg pain for months, what should I do?

I had bacterial infection (streptococus maybe) four months ago. Since that I feel tired and my legs hurts like if I excersised mostly when resting so in the morning it is worse. During an active day when i walk a lot i dont notice it as much. Also i have sometimes heart palpations like one in a few months time. I am young and that tiredness feeling is strange.

Answer

It is hard to say whether or not the bacterial infection is related to the symptoms that you are experiencing right now, without knowing more details. I would recommend discussing this issue with your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience. For example, severe illnesses, including severe bacterial infections, that require intensive medical treatment do often leave the body fairly debilitated, and this can take months to recover from and can be associated with the types of fatigue symptoms you are describing. Streptococcus in particular is sometimes associated with a condition called rheumatic fever, which can cause pain and swelling in the joints as well as inflammation in the heart, which can lead to disturbances with the valves and with the heart rhythm. It is also possible that your symptoms are totally unrelated to this infection, depending on the circumstances. There are many other common causes of fatigue and palpitations, including trouble with the thyroid gland and also anemia. Again, I would recommend discussing this issue with your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience. They'll be able to help you determine if your current symptoms are related to the prior infection (and rule out or consider the possibility of rheumatic fever if necessary). They'll also be able to decide if you need additional testing, such as blood work.