ZocdocAnswersDoes Hepatitis C cause boils?

Question

Does Hepatitis C cause boils?

Boil right inner thigh and boil right side scrotum If u squeeze boils do they spred should I be worried?

Answer

I do not know of any association of hepatitis C with skin boils or skin infections of any type, but I recommend that you see your primary care physician. Hepatitis C is usually detected with blood tests looking for the hepatitis C virus or antibodies that we make to the virus. Some people do not develop symptoms of the infection early on. Some people develop liver disease later in life and find out at that time that they have hepatitis C. The hepatitis C virus is transmitted typically through exposure to someone else's blood often through sharing needles. If you have never used IV drugs, then this is likely not an issue. Regarding the boils, these are typically caused by infection with bacteria that normally live in the skin, typically staph. Small skin infections typically heal on their own. Others might be helped by topical antibiotic ointment. If the infections are deep enough or cover enough area, sometimes oral antibiotics are needed. If an abscess is formed, then they often need drained. The simplest way to drain a small abscess is to squeeze the area and see if pus drains. Obviously we do not recommend doing this as you might make matters worse if you do this to an infection without an exam by a doctor. The infections do not typically spread if the abscess are squeezed. The best physician for you to see about this is your primary care physician.