ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel lower back pain?

Question

Why do I feel lower back pain?

The pain in my lower back worsen when i sit,stand and walk for some time.when i stand or walk for some time, i feel dull achy pain in my lower back and pain in my leg.however, the pain will goes off the next morning after i sleep.i wont feel the pain ifi didnt stand,,walk or sit for llong time.Also,the pain can be felt frm lower back towards the leg when i bend backwards.i can only bend partially downwards and i couldnt touch my feet as i can feel the pain in lower back when i do so. I also feel lower back pain when i lay down on bed but the pain goes off aftet a shory while.may i know what may be the prolem?

Answer

So sorry to hear about your problem. Back pain is incredibly common here in the US, and can be a source of constant pain, doctor's visits, and medication needs if not controlled appropriately. Unfortunately, treatment options are not always perfect for each patient, and some patients need multiple rounds of therapy before they get the relief that they need. The best thing to do is to speak with a spine specialist. In your specific situation, it is hard to say what may be causing this pain, but there are several possibilities. These run from the muscles that are used to hold you in the correct posture (there are several groups that run along your spine, and others that are involved and sometimes referred to as your "core") to problems that involve the bones of the spine itself, and can involve either problems that you were born with, problems that you developed over time, or problems that developed secondary to some trauma. There are obviously many other possibilities as well, but a spine specialist may be able to help you with this problem. Both orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons are trained help people with back pain, and either may be an effective recommendation to help you get feeling better. Please speak with your doctor about your question.