I am 18 years old and I have been on my period for a week now, why is that?

Also, I have an irregular menstrual cycle where in I don't have my flow for two or three months, and I'm not sexually active.
Thanks for your question and I recommend that you discuss your concern with your doctor. The menstrual cycle is coordinated by multiple hormones that act in concert with each other to prepare a woman to become pregnant. As part of this process, the uterine lining will undergo changes every single day over the course of a month as it is preparing to receive a fertilized egg. If implantation of a fertilized egg does not occur within a certain window of time, the lining will slough off, which is sometimes known as a woman's period, or menstruation. The lining will slough until it is completely removed from the uterus, and the uterus will contract intermittently to ensure that this happens (which is why most women will have cramps during menstruation). If your menstrual cycle seems unusually long, it can have something to do with the amount of tissue that has accrued since your last period, or there can be an alternative explanation. While irregular periods are somewhat common, it is something that you should discuss with your doctor, as it can be a sign of something that needs to be addressed medically. Please speak with your doctor about this question as well as your irregular menstrual cycle.

Nearby OB-GYNs