Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My skull has a bad shape, and I want it reshaped. Is that possible?"

ZocdocAnswersMy skull has a bad shape, and I want it reshaped. Is that possible?


My skull have oval shape I want it correct shape


This is a difficult problem. I recommend that you speak with your doctor about this question. The short answer is that, yes, there are things that can be done to help with the shape of your head. One of the easier things to do is to use implants to augment a specific area of the calvarium to give the desired approach. In some cases, doctors will do more advanced and invasive procedures to altar the shape of the head, but this is a very complicated surgery that requires quite a long recovery and does have more risks associated with it. It is most commonly used in infants who have fusion of the plates of their head at too early of an age, which leaves them at risk for not having enough room for their brain to expand into (as you know, the infant skull is incompletely fused at birth usually, to allow for this growth). In cases of adults, it is sometimes difficult to justify the difficulty of a neurosurgery case unless there is a pressing need. The mantra of "first do no harm" sometimes leaves doctors trying to help patients in the least invasive manner to get what they need to be well. Please speak with your doctor about this question.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.