ZocdocAnswersDo I have fibromyalgia?

Question

Do I have fibromyalgia?

I have a variety of symptoms, and I would go to a doctor but for the fact that I've been to so many and I'm beginning to feel like a hypochondriac. I'm 22 years old, I've had tension migraines for a couple of years and normal migraine meds don't help. I have anxiety and depression which I've been treating for a couple of years through medication, a variety of pain disorders (vaginismus from trauma being one), anemia, chronic infections and I go through periods where I get low-grade fevers at night. Most of these symptoms started when I was around 19. In the last few weeks, I've started getting this horrible pain on the inside of my elbows and knees in the middle of the night. It wakes me up, and I never feel like I've had enough sleep. I also am started to get the elbow pain during the day. I once had a doctor say they thought I may have an autoimmune disorder, but it was in Spain and I left before having a chance to be checked for one.

Answer

Fibromyalgia is a type of myofascial pain syndrome that is extremely common in the US. Typical symptoms of fibromyalgia include muscle pain in multiple areas because usually including the back and oftentimes the shoulders, arms, and legs. People with fibromyalgia often complain of migraine headaches. Anxiety and depression are very common. In addition, people feel like they are usually getting very poor sleep. While the information you provided certainly sounds like you could have fibromyalgia, there is not enough information here to be sure. Thus, you will still need to be evaluated by a doctor. I suggest that you first schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Your physician can perform a special physical exam to look for specific areas of tenderness or trigger points. We use these areas to diagnose fibromyalgia if there are enough of them. In addition, you can get information on treatment if your doctor thinks that this is what you have. People to get diagnosed with fibromyalgia always have to undergo some testing to look for inflammatory or autoimmune disorders that can present in a similar way. Treatment for fibromyalgia starts with establishing an exercise program it also involves the use of certain medications to help calm down the pain. Good luck.