Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I get indigestion every time I eat, should I be concerned?"

ZocdocAnswersI get indigestion every time I eat, should I be concerned?


Hi for the last couple of months whenever I eat I experience discomfort almost like hiccups, but without the hiccups and the only way to get rid of it is to skull water until I feel like my esophagus is being cleared (or at least that's what it feels like) It is worse with high carb foods but happens with just about any meal. I have tried seeing if I am eating too fast and not chewing enough but it still happens. Should I be concerned?


Thank you for your question. I'm sorry for your discomfort. The only way for you to get a diagnosis is to see a doctor. From what you are describing, it sounds like you have indigestion. I am not familiar with the phrase "skull water" but assume that it refers to drinking water. Indigestion is a very common complaint that has many possible causes. Two of the more common causes of indigestion are Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) and dysfunction of the normal movement of the stomach such that food does not pass through readily. GERD often occurs because the lower esophageal sphincter, a muscle between the esophagus and the stomach, relaxes when it should be contracted, allowing stomach contents to travel the wrong way. There are other causes of GERD, some of which are serious. It is possible that drinking water could relieve some symptoms. As with GERD, there are many causes of dysfunction of the normal movement of the stomach. Some of these are systemic diseases, such as diabetes. Other causes of indigestion include ulcers in the stomach or bowel. Stomach ulcers are sometimes caused by a specific bacteria that can be treated with antibiotics. Sometimes, serious underlying conditions like cancer can cause ulcers. Only a doctor can provide you with an accurate diagnosis. I strongly advise you to see a doctor. You could see your primary care doctor or a gastroenterologist.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.