Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I have intermittent blurry vision on my right eye?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have intermittent blurry vision on my right eye?


I am a 21 year old female with no significant past medical history. I have been experiencing intermittent blurry vision on my right eye since 5 days ago. I do wear contacts or glasses for my nearsightedness. However, lately I have been using my contacts more than usual and have even slept with them on one or two instances. I went to an opthalmologist two days ago and he prescribed me lubricating eye drops. He said that my eyes were dry and scheduled me for an appointment with an optometrist. He looked into my retina and did not find anything unsual. Apparently all I need is new glasses but everyday my blurriness worsens as the day goes on. I do not know if I should ask for a referral to another specialist or just proceed with the optometrist. Please let me know how can I go about this problem. Thanks!


So sorry to hear about your problem. I am glad that you have already been to see a medical specialist with regards to your question, as he or she is obviously in the best position to determine if you need further intervention or testing because of the ability to ask more questions and to do a physical exam. It can be hard to know what to do if you have seen a doctor and feel that you still do not have the answers that you need and you are still having the same symptoms that you were worried about. In these cases, it can be advantageous to see another specialist for a second opinion. In addition to the possible second chance to find something that the first doctor may have missed, it offers the potential to reassure you if two say that everything is ok. While an optometrist does have a slightly different scope of practice than an ophthalmologist, he or she should also be able to help you with your concern since you have already seen the ophthalmologist. Another physical exam may be beneficial, and will offer you the chance to change your glasses, which may lead to some improvement. Please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.