ZocdocAnswersI have severe dizziness for some time now. How sick am I?

Question

I have severe dizziness for some time now. How sick am I?

I have severe dizziness, light headedness for some time now. The last time I checked my BP, it was quite low- I dont remember the exact reading. I have overall weakness as well. Do I need to see a doctor?

Answer

Yes, you should please discuss these symptoms with your doctor. There are many different causes of dizziness, but if your symptoms have persisted, are new, or are getting worse, they should be discussed with your doctor to make sure there is not something serious that is causing them. A low blood pressure can be caused by a number of different things, but it can also cause a number of different problems, such as dizziness and passing out (syncope). Often, this sort of thing can have a cardiac cause, but there are also occasions where it is caused by something in the brain, the neck, or even the ear. All of these can play a role in balance, and so it is important to know more of your story in order to understand where your problem originates and what needs to be done to help you feel better. The link to overall weakness is also important, as it could indicate something even more serious. Your doctor will be able to ask the appropriate questions, perform an exam, order tests, and follow up with you as needed until you return to optimal health. Please speak with your doctor about this question.