Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Is body inflation dangerous in long and short term?"

ZocdocAnswersIs body inflation dangerous in long and short term?


Hi. I used to enjoy inflating myself (I know, it sounds weird, and it is weird, but for some reason I just like the feeling, and it's not a sexual type of feeling either) but due to personal reasons I am trying to stop. I understand that there is health problems due to this (I've never had a injury due to this as far as I am aware) and I wanted to get a professional view as to the possible long term and short term effects of bodily inflation, so as to help not be tempted to do it. For extra information, I used to use an aquarium pump for slow but gradual inflation inside the rectum, and at a certain point, the air would just escape and travel through my intestines into my stomach, making me very nauseous. Hopefully that whole thing didn't make you feel sick. I'm just being honest and thought I should put in as much details as possible. Thanks in advance!


I highly recommend discussing this with a medical professional. The main risk of body inflation, by the introduction of air or water into the intestines, is that the distention and pressure of the air or water on the intestines could lead to damage to the intestinal wall. In the most severe cases, this could cause rupture of the intestines, which could lead to a life threatening infection and the need for emergency surgery. Other forms of body inflation - for example, the introduction in women of air or water into the vagina and uterus-- are also quite dangerous, for similar reasons. From a medical standpoint, inflation is a fetish practice with significant inherent risks. I would suggest talking with a medical professional about this issue, particularly if you find it hard to stop the behavior. You may need help from a psychologist or from a therapist to help you work through the reasons why you find this behavior compelling and to help you find effective strategies that will help you to stop. If you don't know where to find a psychologist or a therapist, you could start by talking with your primary care doctor, who should be able to help direct you to the resources that you need.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.