ZocdocAnswersWhy does it hurt at the end when I pee?

Question

Why does it hurt at the end when I pee?

Hi, for about 2-3 days now whenever I go to the toilet to pee at the end I have a slightly painful sensation. It's hard to describe its more uncomfortable then burning but still hurts. I haven't had any bleeding but my urine has been fairly clear. When I woke up this morning my lower back was hurting on the right when I was walking or moved and twisted my body. Do I have a kidney or bladder infection? Is there anything I should do? Thankyou

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. I recommend that you visit with your primary care doctor or that you be seen at an urgent care clinic. Pain with urination is concerning for a urinary tract infection, but there are several other possible diagnoses. If you have been sexually active and have increased urinary frequency and urgency, a urinary tract infection is likely. These infections, if left untreated, can ascend from the bladder to the kidneys and cause an infection at that location (called pyelonephritis). This would cause back pain, fever, and possibly nausea and vomiting. Pyelonephritis must be treated with antibiotics and may require hospitalization. If you have isolated pain with urination but no increased frequency or urgency, a vaginal infection (such as bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis, or yeast) is possible. Finally, lower back pain and pain with urination can be caused by kidney stones. These are especially likely to form if you have had previous kidney stones, a family history of stones, or if you have not been drinking enough fluids. Kidney stones may also cause visible blood in the urine. As mentioned above, I strongly recommend that you be seen by a physician to determine the cause of your symptoms.