Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I have a yeast infection that won't go away, what should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI have a yeast infection that won't go away, what should I do?


I have had it for about 6 months I have taken various medicine and that helped with symptoms but not discharge.


A yeast infection is a common complaint heard by doctors. The predominant symptom of a yeast (fungus) infection is a thick, white, chunky discharge (like a cottage cheese) with intense itching, swelling and pain around and outside of the vagina or both. Have you been diagnosed with a yeast infection by a doctor? If not, you should be evaluated by a doctor. Many other vaginal infections (i.e., chlamydia, trichomonas, and gonorrhea) that have similar symptoms as a yeast infection can be mistaken for a yeast infection. If you actually have been diagnosed, recurrent yeast infections may require more aggressive treatment. Seeking medical care from your doctor is always warranted. Your doctor may recommend a long-course vaginal therapy (usually 7 to 14 days) that includes an Azole medication in the form of a vaginal cream or ointment. He or she may also prescribe 2 or 3 doses of fluconazole to be taken by mouth once a week for 6 months. You must follow the treatment plan religiously. It is also advisable to avoid douching in an attempt to get rid of the vaginal discharge. Fungi and many other germs that normally live in the vagina keep each other in balance. Douching is actually counter-effective because it can upset the natural balance of these organisms in your vagina and worsen the infection. Similarly, you should avoid using feminine hygiene sprays, fragrances, or powder in the genital area. With proper treatment your symptoms should disappear completely. If not, your doctor may check for diseases that can lead to yeast infections. One of them is diabetes. Again, please speak with your doctor soon. Hope all's well.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.