Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why do I have upper left abdominal pain after eating?"


i have been having severe upper left abdominal pain after i eat. when it happens on a scale from 1-10 its about an 8-9. its been like this for about a week and a half now, and not sure wether or not i should goto the emergency room as i dont have insurance and dont want to be billed over nothing.


Abdominal pain after eating can have many causes and it is important to discuss your symptoms with a doctor. In general, pain after eating can be caused by problems with the stomach, liver, diaphragm, gallbladder, pancreas or intestines. Sometimes patients notice that this pain is worse after eating certain foods, such as those with high fat content.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Surgeons near you

Patients will often times experience associated symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation. Rarely, abdominal pain can be an unusual presentation of heart disease. Gallbladder disease is one of the most common causes of upper abdominal pain after eating. Patients with pain in the upper abdomen may also suffer from dyspepsia, reflux disease, and ulcer disease. Diaphragmatic hernias (openings in the diaphragm) can also cause significant discomfort. Finally, there are other causes of abdominal pain that don't typically cause pain in the upper abdomen such as appendicitis, diverticulitis, urinary tract infection, kidney stones, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, and pelvic inflammatory disease. These disease can sometimes uncharacteristically cause upper abdominal pain. If you have difficulty with vomiting, or keeping down food or water due to the pain, then you should visit the emergency room for immediate evaluation. If you are able to tolerate a diet, then you should schedule an appointment with a general surgeon.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.