ZocdocAnswersWhat is a ball-like pimple on my earlobe on both sides of the same ear?

Question

What is a ball-like pimple on my earlobe on both sides of the same ear?

It hurts and is red but a hard ball

Answer

Sorry to hear about your problem, and hope that we will be able to help you come to some sort of answer. While there are many potential causes of this sort of problem, it is important to know more information before coming to a conclusion, which is why I recommend discussing this with a doctor. Additional info such as how long it has been present, other, similar, bumps that you may have in other parts of your body, other infections or other problems, and any potential family history of other things. Finally, it would be important to know if you have had trauma, such as piercings, etc, in that region, as it could be a contributing factor. If all of this is normal, then the next step is a physical exam, where a doctor would look at the spot and see if it was likely to be something from an infection or if it is more likely to be something less acute. This may be the most important step. From what you are describing, this lesion could be several different things. It could be a small hair follicle or something similar that was infected in the past and is now in a stage of healing, or it could be an abnormal piece of cartilage, or something much more simple. Please speak with your doctor about your question.